[hofa] Plug: Functional v. OO CFA

Matt Might might at cs.utah.edu
Fri May 7 08:21:18 PDT 2010

I'd like to announce our PLDI paper to the list, since it may be of interest.

The three-sentence version of the paper is:

(1) k-CFA for functional programs is exponential for k > 1, yet k-CFA
for OO programs is polynomial for any k.

(2) The root cause of the difference in complexity is that closures
and objects behave in subtly different yet important ways.

(3) Once we understand that difference, we can construct a
context-sensitive polynomial-time CFA hierarchy for functional
programs.

If you're interested, check out the details in the paper:

 http://matt.might.net/papers/might2010mcfa.pdf

Questions, comments and flames are welcome.

-Matt