[hofa] Wikipedia page needed for higher-order CFA

Jan Midtgaard jmi at brics.dk
Fri Feb 12 06:01:18 PST 2010

Matt Might <might at cs.utah.edu> writes:

> We need to put one together.
>
> This is all there is now:
>
>  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Control_flow_analysis

Hear hear!

There already are a few reasonable entries in the general area, to
which we could refer:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_code_analysis
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Data_flow_analysis
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pointer_analysis
  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abstract_interpretation

As a first step we should change the redirection of the CFA-page into
a separate page. Unfortunately I don't know how to do that.

Then we need an initial stub to fill in. Here's a quick attempt:

  Control flow analysis is a [[static analysis]] technique for
  determining the receiver(s) of function or method calls in computer
  programs written in a [[higher-order programming language]].

  The term /control flow analysis/ was introduced independently by Neil
  D. Jones (ICALP:1981) and Olin Shivers (PLDI:1988).

It's rough, but it's a start.

BTW, it seems the 'Static Analysis' page

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Static_analysis

is referring to something different. It should probably be made into a
disambiguation page. Again I don't know how to do that.

//Jan